Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A great man has died...

Ken's father died yesterday, February 27.
ODA was a truly great and kind man. He and Ken's mother raised 3 children with tolerance, respect and abounding faith in their ability to do well at anything they tried.

Writing this has been more difficult than I could have dreamed. He is the first of Ken and my parents to die. Even though Ken's father was ill with Parkinson's a long time, and death was a close companion, it is astonishing to experience this level of grief. I simply cannot believe that we will not be talking to him again. That our sons will never know him. And that is the saddest thing.

And when we told the boys tonight, Parker said "Oh, Daddy! That is terrible! Now you don't have a daddy anymore." And he tenderly patted Ken.

Please hug your parents next time you see them. And tell them you love them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Ms.

Hugs to you, and warm thoughts of comfort for you and yours. How beautiful your Parker is. You are understandably proud.

Paula said...

Oh, you know I am holding you close and saying a prayer.

Please except my deepest comdolences...

Badger said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry.

Jess said...

All good thoughts to you, and Ken, and your sweet boys.

Caro said...

I'm so sorry.

We have not yet lost one of our parents.

I can't imagine how saddened we will be.

My float said...

I am so sorry. What a loss for you and your family, particularly your husband. Thinking of you.

lazy cow said...

Only just read this so apologies for the lateness in my response: I'm very sorry for your husband and you. Praying for peace for all of you.
And yes, I'll give my mum and extra big hug when I see her tomorrow:-)

Sarah Louise said...

Condolences, my dear.

What a dear son you have.

SL